CSNOW - Strategic Planning - are you ready to start planning for FY24?
Don't let the headline scare you, but it is time to start planning for next program year! Applications are coming up quickly and the annual report is right around the corner. Now is the perfect time to get that Strategic Planning session on the calendar. If you already have a current strategic plan, then it is time to ensure your team is all on the same page and headed in the same direction!
Founding father Benjamin Franklin is quoted as saying, “By failing to prepare and plan, you are preparing to fail.” The great eastern philosopher Confucius stated, “A man who does not plan ahead will soon find trouble at his door.” These great thinkers convey the importance of having a plan whether as an individual or an organization.
With the release of Information Memorandum (IM) 138 by the federal Office of Community Services which established CSBG Organizational Standards 6.1 through 6.5 for both public and private Community Action Agencies, many of our agencies expressed concern about their strategic plans and if those plans would meet the standards. In fact, with five standards directly related and another six standards indirectly related, there are a total of 11 standards associated with strategic planning.
Things that we will talk about:
1. How to get started if it is time to begin anew?
2. How to review an existing plan and revise if needed?
3. Who should be involved in the planning process?
4. What are the necessary pieces in the plan?
5. How do we use this process to plan, carryout and evaluate programming in fiscal year 2024?
6. How does this fit into meeting the Organizational Standards?
7. How do I get my board and team to think ahead, using the data we just reported for the annual report?